File this under the best summer salad, because it combines salty and sweet and everyone’s favorite summer standard: watermelon. I love that this side is so simple to put together and perfect for all of the outdoor get togethers this season. I also love that this can easily turn into a meal with the help of some grilled chicken on top or a plate of grilled skirt steak to accompany it, and a glass of wine, of course, wouldn’t hurt. I have had similar variations of this recipe over the past few years, but found this exact one to be my favorite. I saw it in a copy of a local grocery store magazine that you can pick up, complimentary, at checkout. Homerun. It was filled with great sides, desserts and entrees that all were fairly quick to create and looked amazing. If you are on the hunt for a crowd pleaser at your next barbeque, this is the one. And I guarantee you will be recreating it at home, too.
- 1 French or sourdough baguette (I used sourdough because our local bakery was out of French baguettes and it came out great!)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 small red onion (I used a little less)
- 2 cups watermelon chunks
- 3 talespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 (8 oz.) container fresh baby mozzarella
- 1 (4 oz.) package prosciutto
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Tear the baguette into 1-inch chunks. Toss with 2 tablespoons oil, salt and pepper. Spread in an even layer onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, until golden and toasted, stirring twice.
- Meanwhile, halve the cherry tomatoes. Chop the cucumber. Finely chop the onion and cut the watermelon into smaller cubes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together remaining 4 tablespoons oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes, cucumber, onion, watermelon, and toasted bread cubes. Toss to combine and arrange on a large platter or in a large bowl.
- Drain the mozzarella balls, tear the prosciutto into ribbons, and slice the basil. To serve, arrange the mozzarella, prosciutto and basil on top of salad.
And with all of the time you can save by choosing easy-to-make dishes for your family and for your guests, you can start to browse the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale catalog to find all the goodies you will be wanting to wear this fall.