Growing up, I hoarded t-shirts. Long-sleeved, short-sleeved, burnout, school-spirited, team-related. Even now, I have a collection of tees that I threaten to clean out and pair down each season, but find reasons to keep them around. There is something about a basic tee that is so essential, no matter the time of year. But then, there are times where you want the comfort of that same fundamental shirt, and a look that’s elevated. Enter, the not-so-basic tee. Free People is notorious for some of the comfiest (and some of my very favorite) clothing, so it’s no surprise they carry some of the best basics with a twist. I love how lightweight and soft this long, ribbed tee is. But the sleeves are stunning. The mesh and ruffled lace detail look so chic and take even the simplest outfit up a notch with zero effort. I got it in classic black, but it also comes in a light lilac.
Here are some of my other not-so-basic-tee picks from Free People right now:
1. This relaxed shirt has a boyfriend fit to it and fun ruffles along the sleeves.
2. The cutest striped tee with a smocked detail.
3. Loving this oversized crewneck with flirty mesh sleeves, in the softest shade of pink.
4. A body contouring shirt offset with a puffed shoulder would look great with wide leg denim.
5. This sequin tee is a bit pricey, but would be perfect for a special occasion, like New Year’s Eve. And would look great with faux leather leggings or a denim mini skirt.
Happy (almost) New Year!